“give more fucks about what makes you happy and less fucks about what others think.”
Welcome to the world of Margot Meanie. A Canadian blogger and youtuber who’s dedicated to making dressing like a true goth queen easier for plus size babes the world over.
Founder of #alternativecurves over on Instagram, and a real freaking stylish babe, I’m so excited to feature her here on Bound in Bone. Read on to find out her go-to outfits, the brands that she’s loving right now and what she does when she’s stuck in a style rut.
How would you describe your style?
Umm, let’s see, soft-goth-wanna-be-with-a-whimsical-heart-that-thinks-she-wants-to-be-minimalist-but-is-actually-maximalist.
What does “goth” mean to you?
Goth means attitude, a spooky disposition and a penchant for dramatic romanticism. A love of dark things; hues, moods and topics.
Why did you decide to start blogging/youtubing?
Because growing up I never saw gothy types that were anything but tall, thin and pale. I desperately needed to see that larger bodies were able to exist in alternative spaces, that we could dress in this style. So I basically decided I would put out the kinds of images and content I needed coming up, and to be a resource of where to find the good stuff, as it takes 100x more effort to find cool dark style clothes in plus sizes.
What would you say to someone who feels like they can’t dress the way they want because of their size?
That’s a bullshit myth. Live your life, give more fucks about what makes you happy and less fucks about what others think.
What’s your favourite go-to outfit?
In the cooler months; an oversized comfy distressed sweater, wet look leggings, boots, statement jewelry. In the warmer months; an oversized off the shoulder caftan style dress… or mesh.
Which brands are you loving at the moment?
- Dolls Kill recently released a plus line, so that’s exciting to have an alternative specific brand enter the plus market.
- Boohoo is good for cheap finds, especially for Halloween.
- ModCloth is surprisingly good lately! [author’s note: if you’re in the UK you unfortunately can’t but from Modcloth – GDPR shit I think].
- Eloquii is a plus specific brand that really likes to experiment with forward thinking fashion, they sometimes have some killer pieces that fit right into my gothy wardrobe, they’re a little pricier, but completely worth it.
- I love All Saints always and forever, I just need them to start producing plus size garments so I can give them my fat dollars!
What do you do when you feel like you’re stuck in a style rut?
I change my hair!
Huge thank you to Margot for agreeing to an interview – you can follow her on Instagram here!
Got someone you’d like me to interview? Let me know in the comments!